Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Testimonial - Mr. Darby the Weimaraner

This is a case I am very proud of, and cannot believe I have met and am now friends with a most wonderful person as a result of this field of work.
Mr. Darcy had a very unusual medical condition that would have cost him his life if not repaired.  This problem is usually found after the dog is over a year of age.  Mr. Darcy was nearly 2 (if I remember correctly) when his trouble started.  Short story here.  Mr. Darcy was to have a liver biopsy, but what the surgeon found was what is called a peritoneal pericardial diaphragmatic hernia (PPDH). This means that he had a hole in his diaphragm and in the sac that surrounds the heart.  Instead of all of his "innards" being in his abdomen, they were all scrambled up.  Some were in his chest and I believe his heart was in his abdomen.  Karin can correct me if I have said something incorrectly. The surgeon was able to repair this, but it was a long, hard, recovery for Mr. Darcy.  It is hard for the body to heal itself if there is inadequate nutrition. Thank you for your kind words Karin.

"I have known Dr. Susan Lauten since September 2009 when I contacted her as a last resort for my dog who was not getting back on his paws after extensive surgery. The veterinarians agreed that nutrition may be the key to his recovery and provided me with 20 pages about canine nutrition from a veterinary textbook. I WAS COMPLETELY LOST. Somebody recommended Dr. Lauten, and she agreed to take on a complicated case.
It required out-of-the-box thinking in a scenario rarely seen, and with Susan's guidance and advice, my dog began his slow process of recovery.
He is now healthy, but I still consult with Susan periodically because adjustments in his diets are still necessary.
I have found in Susan a person of exceptional knowledge and attention to detail. I also found a friend who was willing to listen to my fears and nursed me through the recovery process as much as my dog.
I cannot recommend Dr. Susan Lauten more as an expert in her field of pet nutrition and as a wonderful human being."
I think you all need a picture of Mr. Darcy and my friend (his Mom) Karin to go with this story.  I think he is doing very well :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment